1. Entry into this competition confirms each entrant’s acceptance of these rules and terms of agreement.
2. ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival’s 2020 “Much More than a Script Competition” is open to all writers. Writers may be of any nationality and any country. NOTE: All writers must be eighteen years of age as of January 1st, 2020.
3. Applications must be received electronically ON or BEFORE midnight (12:00pm CET) on 22nd March, 2020.
4. Entering the competition constitutes the permission of the author for ÉCU to use the winner’s name and the script’s title for publicity and promotions without any compensation.
5. Multiple authorship screenplays are acceptable.
6. Multiple entries are accepted provided there is a separate agreement to the terms that are accepted and an additional entry fee is paid for each new submission.
7. No additional material should be attached to the submitted screenplay.
8. Screenplays must be written in English, French, Spanish, Italian or German.
9. All genres will be considered and must be the original work of the submitting author or authors.
10. Short screenplays must be NO LESS than 5 pages and NO MORE than 50 pages in length.
11. Feature screenplays must be NO LESS than 50 pages and NO MORE than 130 pages in length.
12. No substitution, new drafts or corrected pages for screenplay entries will be accepted under any circumstances.
13. The submitted screenplay must not have been previously optioned, sold or produced.
14. Screenplays that are based on other works are required to obtain permission and/or copyright clearance from the original author and clearly marked as such when submitted.
15. Winners will be judged and chosen by a panel of accomplished judges. Judges decisions are final. No correspondence or discussion will be considered.
16. No cash alternatives to any prizes or additional payments will be made.
17. Competition organizers reserve the right to reject any entry for any reason at their absolute discretion.
18. Finalists accepted into the competition will be announced on March 30th, 2020. The overall winner will be announced during the concluding ceremony held on the last day of ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival on April 26th, 2020.
19. Competition organizers reserve the right to amend these rules and regulations at any time by notice via the website at www.ecufilmfestival.com
20. Scripts should be submitted in proper screenplay format.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Writer(s) agree to abide by all of the Rules and Regulations, both in this Agreement and posted on www.ecufilmfestival.com, and acknowledge that failure to do so will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee(s) and prizes, if any.
2. Writer(s) recognize and acknowledge that ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition,” the Contest, its sponsors, judges, administrators, readers and other associates (“the Contest”) have access to hundreds of ideas, stories and screenplays for motion pictures and that many stories and ideas relate to one or more common underlying themes, concepts or other elements. The Writer(s) understand that ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition” and the Contest agree not to use any portion of the Screenplay unless:
2.1. Writer(s) do not control or own the Screenplay or such features or elements,
2.2. the Screenplay elements used by ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition” and/or the Contest and claimed by Writer(s) to be their Screenplay or embodied in the Screenplay is in the public domain, is not new or novel, or is not legally protected or protectable, or
2.3. any third party would be free to use the Screenplay if it had not been submitted to the Contest and been the subject of this Agreement.
3. Writer(s) certify that the submitted Screenplay is the original work of the Writer(s) and has not been produced, sold or optioned at the time of submission. Writer(s) certify that submitted material is not based on anyone else’s copyrighted work, in whole or in part, and there is no legal dispute about the ownership of the submitted Screenplay. (Adaptation of previously published work is eligible only if the Writer(s) can provide written and executed proof of their right to adapt the work to screenplay form, or if the work is indisputably in the public domain.)
4. Writer(s) grant ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition” the right to use their name(s) and likeness(es) and the submitted Screenplay’s title in all forms of publicity and other communication.
5. Writer(s) agree to accept all decisions of the Contest judges, administrators and readers as final. Writer(s) understand and acknowledge that there are no refunds, warranties or guarantees and that the rules, judges, prizes, deadlines and other elements of the Contest may be changed or altered by ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition” without notice.
6. Writer(s) understand and acknowledge that the submission of the Screenplay to the Contest does not establish any fiduciary or confidential relationship between the Writer(s) and ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition” or the Contest or any of their judges or other associates, nor is there one intended or created by reason of this letter and/or submission of the Screenplay. The Writer(s) agree that the Contest shall not be obligated to return the Screenplay to the Writer(s), and the Writer(s) release the Contest from all liability if the Screenplay is lost, misplaced, stolen or destroyed.
7. If more than one Writer executes this Agreement or is deemed a Writer of a submitted Screenplay, then any and all references to “Writer(s)” within this Agreement and the Contest rules shall apply to each party jointly and severally. The first Writer listed on this Agreement will be designated the primary contact for the purposes of communication and prize-awarding. It is the responsibility of the Writers to decide how prizes are divided among themselves.
8. Writer(s) agree to indemnify ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition,” the Contest, its sponsors, judges, administrators, readers and other associates against all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgments, liabilities, disputes and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of or in connection with their participation in this Contest. Writer(s) further agree that ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival (2020) “Much More than a Script Competition” and the Contest shall be indemnified and held harmless against any claims pertaining to submitted Screenplays or their content if unauthorized parties should use them, or if the rights to the Screenplay or to any prize(s) awarded are disputed, or in the event of any other claim, judgment or other legal expense associated with the participation of the Writer(s) in this Contest.